Sunday, July 11, 2010

Post Weekend Review: Battlefield Tour

In an effort to try and Carpe Diem the rest of my time here, I went on a substantial battlefield tour this weekend. On Friday, it hit the Antietam near Sharpsburg, MD. I kind of had to rush through it because I wanted to get to Lynchburg, VA at a decent hour. The battlefield was still pretty cool. It rained all the way to Lynchburg, where I stayed at the Super 8. On Saturday, I started out with Appomattox Court House, where General Lee surrendered to General Grant. I spent a couple hours there with beautiful sunny weather. I then traveled to Petersburg, which was kind of confusing since it's three fronts spread out over quite a few miles. I saw an abbreviated tour of the Eastern Front mostly concentrating on the Crater, which is depicted in the opening scenes of the movie Cold Mountain (it's over dramatized in the movie, the Crater is not as large as it is in the movie but still really cool to see). After that I went up to Fredricksburg. There are actually 4 battlefields up there and I had planned to see them all but I only made it through Fredrickburg as it was all pretty awesome. I stayed in Haggerstown, MD at the Days Inn and traveled to Gettysburg on Sunday. I had been there once before but a lot has changed. There is a new Visitor's Center, the Bus Tour was different, new museum. It was all awesome! I did the Bus Tour, the Movie, Cyclorama, Museum, and the drove the entire battlefield to take pictures. I arrived there at 9am and didn't leave until 7:30pm. Well worth the trip and price of admission. I have 550 pictures plus a few videos to prove it. I got home at 10pm exhausted, sore, and satisfied. I do know that a future vacation will be taken out here again as I want to go back and see the battlefields again with the one's I missed.
















Dunker Church, Antietam National Battlefield














McLean House, where General Lee Surrendered, Appomattox Courthouse















Union Tunnel at the Crater, Petersburg National Battlefield















Memorial at Marye's Heights on the Sunken Road, Fredicksburg National Battlefield
















Cannons at Little Roundtop with the Devil's Den in the background, Gettysburg National Military Park













End of my Trip, East Cemetery Hill near dusk, Gettysburg National Military Park

No comments:

Post a Comment