Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Carpe Diem (Seize the Day)

As I had previously mentioned, I have two weeks left of my internship. What has also hit me was that I am not going to see everything I wanted to see while I am out here. I didn't create a list but here is what I was looking at:

New York City (with an expanded list of individual things, see Post Weekend Report: NYC)
Scranton, PA (The Office motherland, yes I know it's filmed in Hollywood, but still)
Lake Placid, NY (Herb Brooks Arena, 1980 Miracle Hockey Game site)
Niagara Falls
Woodstock (which is actually in Bethel, NY)
Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY
Penn State Campus
Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland, OH)
Native American History Museum in Washington DC
Philadelphia
Valley Forge
Civil War Battlefields (all would have been this past weekend)
- Gettysburg (PA)
- The Antietam (MD)
- Monocacy (MD)
- Manassas (VA)
- The Wilderness (VA)
- Chancellorsville (VA)
- Spotsylvania (VA)
- Fredricksburg (VA)
- Richmond (VA)
- Petersburg (VA)
- Appomattox Court House (VA)
Boston, MA

I am probably forgetting a few more things but I'm not going to come close to completing this list. Who knows when I am going to be back this way? It is another reminder to always Carpe Diem, Sieze the Day. It is one of the first things I learned at Sigma Chi along with the standards and principles we strive to live our lives by. You never know what is going to happen in the future and I forgot that whenever a weekend came my way this summer.

One of my favorite movies of all time is the Dead Poets Society. So many lessons can be taken from it. Here is a YouTube link to the Carpe Diem scene (you may need to turn the volume up).

The last time I had a Carpe Diem reminder, I got into Grad school so who knows what lies ahead. Just one of the many things I have to thank Penn College for!

No comments:

Post a Comment